Child Support



Child Support

Every child in Massachusetts is entitled to support from both parents. To ensure this, the Commonwealth has enacted the Child Support Guidelines, which set forth the presumptive amount of child support each parent should pay. This support must be paid until the child reaches the age of emancipation, which can be at 18, or up to age 23, depending on the circumstances.

We provide a Massachusetts Child Support Calculator for calculating the likely child support order in your case. Keep in mind that this calculation may differ from the final amount based on the specific facts of your case.

The Child Support Guidelines consider the number of children, who the children live with, how much each parent earns, and how much each parent already pays to support the children. While this may seem straightforward, the child support calculation can be complicated by specific aspects of your situation.

The questions most often raised in child support cases are:

How much money is the other parent truly earning?
Is there hidden income or “passive income” from a small business or investments?
Should income from overtime or a second job be included in the child support calculation?
Should expenses or support paid for another child be considered?
Should income, gifts, or inheritance from other family, friends, or significant others be considered?
Our attorneys can help you determine the actual incomes of the parents and craft the appropriate argument for child support, whether your circumstances dictate it should be higher or lower.

It is important to know your rights when dealing with child support matters. Contact Emmanuel Dockter for sound, expert legal counsel on your child support case.

Education Center Child Support Articles:

Will I pay or receive child support?
How long does child support last?
What can I do if I don’t know how much the other parent earns?
The other parent stopped paying child support, what can I do?

Child Support Forms:

Complaint for Child Support (Parents married)
Complaint for Child Support (Parents never married)
Care and Custody Affidavit
Long Financial Statement (Filed if earning over $75,000 annually)
Short Financial Statement (Filed if earning under $75,000 annually)